23 December, 2012

Go Big Or Go Home

This is a capybara.


I often see them on some of my runs.
It may look cute, but they're really possibly the weirdest creature on the planet.  
Like a guinea pig you can ride.  


Capybara's are the world's largest rodents.  They can grow to be a little over 4ft in length and 2 ft tall.  One source I found claims they can weigh up to 170lbs!  

Makes me wonder why Ecuadorians waste their time eating those tiny little normal guinea pigs when they could throw one of these suckers on the spit and feed a small village?!?  
(Actually, Capybaras are eaten in Venezuela...but just for Easter.)

Capybaras live in groups, graze like cows and geese, eat their own feces, and can do this:


They swim.  A giant swimming guinea pig.  Awesome.
I think I'll stick to the running trails.

No comments:

Post a Comment