26 December, 2012

Rio Prep

I've been told no one does New Years Eve better than Rio de Janeiro.  We shall see.  For me, I've learned from experience over the years that this holiday is possibly one if the most over-rated of events.  Rio has a potential to change my mind, though I am purposefully setting my expectations to "lukewarm anticipation" in preparation.

Also in preparation for spending a week in this world-famous city, I watched a couple films.  The first was the award-winning Brazilian film City of God (Cidade de Deus) about the violent inner-workings of a large favela during the 1960's and 70's.  The second is the animated Rio, about a domesticated blue macaw from Minnesota (hey!) who ends up in the titular city and learns how to fly, literally and figuratively.


Based on these two movies - which were both great for different reasons - here is what I know and expect from my trip:
  • All birds speak English. (Rio)
  • Guns are as common as grains of sand and just as easy to acquire. (City of God)
  • Your camera will not get jacked if you are friends with a slum lord. (City of God)
  • Small break-dancing monkeys will steal from tourists at the Sugar Loaf. (Rio)
  • Small children from the favela ("runts") will steal your pot at the beach. (City of God)
  • I guess Minnesotans say "Cheese and sprinkles!" when we're exasperated.  So I should practice that. (Rio)
  • Small birds with bottle caps for hats are totally legit. (Rio)
  • Cocaine-addicted gingers are not to be trusted. (City of God) Probably all gingers as a general rule...
  • Being a chicken is a dangerous station to have in life. (Both)
  • Favelas are bad places filled with shady gangs who kill indiscriminately...and may deal in the illegal bird trade. (Both)
  • The beach is an awesome place. (Both)
  • Everyone loves samba - birds and ghetto thugs alike. (Both)
So, based on this information, off to Rio I go...Feliz Ano Novo!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment