07 December, 2013

Pa'lante Colombia!

Yesterday was the "sorteo," or draw, for the 2014 FIFA World Cup, where the qualifying teams finally find out which group they are in and who they will play in the first all-important round of play.  Ladies and gentlemen, start your stats and let the wagering begin!

Most of the news I saw was concerning the USA being placed in the "death group" with Ghana, Germany, and Portugal, essentially ending their hopes of escaping the group rounds.  Unfortunately, the likelihood of that happening to the USA with another combination of teams was pretty high regardless.

The highlight for me was the fact that the one game we had tickets to - June 19th in Brasilia - ended up being assigned to Colombia and Cotê d'Ivoire.  This is Colombia's first appearance in the Cup since '94 and they have been getting a lot of positive buzz around their talent and momentum leading up to their qualification.  Also, I lived there for five years and carry a piece of "la tierra querida" around in my heart.  To say I celebrated in front of some students and coworkers would be an understatement.  I'm glad my Selección Colombia jersey and Colombian flag will be put to good use here in Brazil.

¡Echa pa'lante, vamos Colombia!   I'm a bad American...




No comments:

Post a Comment